Pass Your DMV Driving Test With an Interpreter

Well, everyone planning to get a driver’s license in the USA is not equally competent in English. Many people from all around the world visit the USA every year. The reason may vary as employment, higher studies, business, permanent residency, asylum/refugee seekers, etc.

Indeed, those who indicated above are from different education levels. Even if they are educated in their native language, they may be hesitant to communicate in American English.

Suppose you have a recent experience taking an exam. If so, you know how tuff that moment was. You were nervous, too, even if you were well prepared for the test. So if you had a communication barrier, you would have definitely failed your test.

So how easy it is, if you can do your DMV written test and the driving test in your own language? Yes, DMV allows you to complete your test in a foreign language. However, it is slightly different in how customers can obtain this facility in each state.

Dmv written test is available to use in specific languages other than English. Such as Spanish, French, Chinese etc., which means the language you are familiar with may not be available in the state you live in.

Do not worry; you will have another choice. Your DMV may allow you to bring an approved interpreter to translate the written test questions for you. You need to contact the DMV or their website to find the approved interpreters who translate your language.

If multiple interpreters are available, you better discuss a few things before you hire one. The reason is you are going to pay for their service.

See also  How to Get AAA International Driver's License in the USA

If someone you know has hired an interpreter’s service already, always ask if they recommend that interpreter for you. That is the easiest way to find a suitable interpreter for you.

Otherwise, always ask questions and get a clear idea of what you are paying for.

You may ask questions like,

1. Are you DMV approved interpreter?
2. How much do you charge for the session?
3. If I fail, how much for the second session?
4. What dates are you available?
5. What other services do you provide in addition to interpretation? (practice sessions, special price for written and driving tests together etc.)

If you arranged your written test with an interpreter, make sure of the date and time of your appointment. You can contact your interpreter the day before and confirm you are coming to the test. On the test day, always arrive early. If you miss your appointment for any reason, you miss your test and the money.

You may not need an interpreter if DMV provides the written test in your native language. You may still hire an interpreter if you prefer to do so. However, you better contact DMV to ensure you can use an interpreter service when DMV facilitates the same language.

DMV conducts driving tests in the English language only. You will see sometimes; your examiner is Hispanic or Indian, or Chinese origin. If you are also from the same nationality, you would be happy that you find an examiner who speaks your language, but that is not the case. So the best option is to hire an interpreter if you are not confident in English.

See also  Unlock Your Driving Potential; New Jersey Permit Practice Test Guide

Suppose you decide to hire an interpreter for your driving

Scroll to Top
Scroll to Top